Wintering & Loafing Shelters
Suitable for a wide range of animal housing
SmartShelters' farming structures are the ideal shelter option for the whole spectrum of animal housing - from short-term needs through to longer-term applications.
If you're considering wintering your stock under cover or looking at covering a loafing pad, a SmartShelters structure is an excellent way to provide that shelter from the elements. Spacious, clear span, well-ventilated and brightly lit, your stock are sure to do well in a SmartShelter.
- Increase milk production and reduce feed costs
- Avoid expensive off-farm grazing
- Make winter milking viable
- Animal welfare
- Improve cow condition and comfort through winter
- Eliminate respiratory problems with SmartShelters’
- industry leading airflow
- Reduce mastitis
- Cleaner udders and improved herd health
- Environmental impact
- Heavily reduced nutrient leaching in the wet months
- Fully contained system provides total effluent capture
- Off pasture wintering eliminates pugging and leaching
- 10-12m2 recommended space allocation per cow
- 800mm of feed face/cow recommended for fair feeding
- 50% feed savings
- 5-10 degrees cooler in summer for ideal cow comfort and heat stress relief
- 40m clearspan, no centre poles to hit
- Custom configurations can be designed to suit your site.
- Install a membrane liner beneath your drainage system to future proof against regulation changes.
- Ridge vents are required for removal of moisture accumulation
- SmartShelters lend themselves perfectly to both woodchip and composting barn systems, as the constant airflow generated by the arched roof
design keeps the bedding clean and healthy
- Bedding should be mixed and aerated daily to prevent a crust forming
- Heavy woodchip lasts longer and keeps cows cleaner
- SmartShelters internal environment matches the optimal temperature range for cows; warmer in winter and up to 10 degrees cooler in summer
- Most popular configuration features feeding through the sides with water supplies outside of the bedding area