In fact the benefits of a SmartShelters livestock shelter extend far beyond the health and productivity of your animals. A SmartShelters covered shelter is easier to maintain, facilitates more efficient management, and allows your pasture to grow, unencumbered by constant grazing.
What types of livestock need shelter?
The New Zealand climate is a particularly variable one, with hot and dry summers giving way to often icy winters. Such extreme conditions can cause stress and health issues in your livestock, increasing your vet bills while decreasing productivity (and your bottom line). As such it is wise to offer all of your animals some form of man made shelter, rather than relying solely on the vegetative or topographical features of your property.
Pigs are notoriously good at evading fencing, and don’t require the grazing area that other animals do, so shelters are all but essential if you are to efficiently manage a herd. Shelters are commonly used on a more temporary basis for other animals such as cattle, sheep, goats and deer, like in stand-off, milking, feeding and wintering/loafing situations.
How much room do I need when housing livestock?
While there are a number of factors to consider when calculating space for housing livestock, the following numbers can be used as a guide for anyone doing preliminary planning for a livestock shelter.
Why is a SmartShelters structure the best option for housing your pigs, sheep, deer and other livestock?
There are a number of reasons why a SmartShelter livestock shelter is the best choice for housing your livestock, including:
- Even temperatures – 3-4°C cooler in summer, 3-4°C warmer in winter than an unsheltered area
- The use of super strength membrane structure fabric, offering the best ventilation and plenty of natural light
- The strongest construction, with a proven track record of quality and longevity
- High wind, high snow and high rain certification
- An industry-leading 12 year warranty for ultimate peace of mind
- Custom end wall and door options
- A huge range of spans, from 6m wide through to a huge 40m and beyond
- Excellent build quality, being proudly made right here in NZ
Boasting a team backed by 100 years of experience, and working with the finest materials available, at SmartShelters we’re able to rapidly design and construct livestock shelters of the highest quality, enabling you to work smarter, sooner.
Contact a member of our experienced team today to discuss a truly smart shelter solution for your property.